God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Random Series of Thoughts

Reflections from today's worship service.

One of song we sang had the first line that goes something like this "I came here to worship you, and although I don't hear your voice ... it's ok" I admit that I sort of reacted and couldn't help thinking of the theology of that line. Almost before the worship was over, I kind of had an answer ... The pastor opened the floor for members to share if they have received a word from the Lord for the congregation. What followed was really beautiful as a few members stood up and shared. It was all very edifying. You almost feel like there's really no need for a sermon after that (which the pastor took the cue and closed with a summary of his message). I guess what struck me was the way the Pastor opened up the floor, and as these members shared, it hit me that we were hearing the voice of God for one another. That's what corporate worship is about. It's not about me, doing my thing and just singing to God ... I can do that at home, or driving in my car. The one thing that I can't do on my own, and need to do with other fellow Christians is to worship Him corporately. So instead of singing "I" focused songs, this is the time to make "we" and "us" declarations. As I worship, I realised, I don't do it alone, but within the context of the community of faith. It's not just about my faith, but all of us sharing a common faith, one Lord, one God, one Spirit, one baptism, etc. When I'm not able to listen to the voice of God, others help me discern that voice. And at other times I, in turn, will help others discern His will and speak His word to my brother or sister. That's why even though I may not hear his voice ... it's ok.

More food for thought. Pastor went on to share about the Sower sowing the seeds. The Sower is Christ and He faithfully sows along the paths. He does not discriminate, as we probably would, and refuse to sow on the grounds that are less productive. No, He sows generously and faithfully, both in the fertile and good soil, as well as the thorny and hard ones. Sometimes my heart is so hard, I wonder if there's any hope for me. Other times, it feels like the cares of the world weigh me down so much and I barely spare more than a few minutes thinking of Him through the day. Nevertheless just like a patch of wild flowers that grow out of a dry desert after a night of shower, it reminds me that God's grace reaches beyond what you and I can imagine. Likewise, amidst thorny bushes and weeds, we can see the most pretty flowers blossoming through. I remember seeing a whole field of wild lupins in the middle of nowhere in New Zealand and believes God sows generously and 'wildly'! OK I know in that passage, we are exhorted to be good soil. Yet I am keenly aware that there are still many areas is my heart that is far from good soil, and more like the rocky and thorny paths. I am looking to and trusting Him to till this ground and soften it, to transform it to be good soil!

No comments: