God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Dawn of a New Term

I had a wonderful Christmas break the past few weeks. Can't remember having such a good break in my working life. This is such a luxury. Even the fact that I've been working 2 full days a week the last 2 weeks did not spoil my holidays! In fact I'm glad I got to do that, since I won't be able to do as much when term resumes, although it would be more than what I was putting in last term. Yes, I am very enthusiastic about my part-time job.

It's been a great time of fellowship, eating lots of yummy food and spending time with different folks, making new friends and getting to know existing ones better. Enjoyed the short carolling session at the old folks' home. Watched a number of movies, of which I only paid full price to watch on one (Narnia) in the cinema and rented the DVD for another. It was great time of catching up with pleasure reading... habit of reading multiple books simultaenously- completed 3, almost done with the 4th book, more than half way through the 5th, started on the 6th and 7th! Did some shopping - my first Boxing Day/Week/Month Sale here (yeah, some shops are still on Sale); visited 2 churches; helped to house-sit for my friend who went back to Malaysia with his family for a month-long holiday. Had my first experience of driving in Canada - that was fun. Had a TV in my room for about 2 weeks as I was helping to 'look after' my housemate's TV when he went back to Phillipines for Christmas. Considering that I've not really watched TV since I came in end of June, I was pretty sane, even though I found out I actually have access to cable TV in my room! Love the renovations and DIY programs, especially those involving in major makeover... they have a whole channel dedicated to these stuff. Did quite a bit of walking and swimming. Went with some friends to the Vancouver Art Gallery on Tue, which is the evening of the week that entrance is by donation rather than the usual entrance charges, after 5pm. However since this was the final week for the exhibition on Picasso's work, the queue was exceptionally long, that is easily went on for about 100m outside the Gallery. Obviously everybody else had the same bright idea! Managed to do a little reading up for class... just very little!

Overall I think it was a very good break. I am truly grateful for this precious time. I'm looking forward to the term to resume. I didn't think I'll be saying this. I know it will not be the easiest with probably more load studies wise and having to put in more hours in the part-time job. Am looking to Him for strength and grace to see me through. Will have to put in my application to renew my scholarship some time later. Praying for His favour and committing it all into His hands. It's all very exciting really. I've seen how He's provided since I've arrived here and I am never tired about sharing about how He's blessed me, in every way. I know I've recounted my blessings, but especially in material terms, I've been completely balled over. I've received countless blessings and they have come through diverse means, from gifts, inherited from people leaving Vancouver, seniors and even people I have no idea who they are. Stuff I've received include cooking utensils, like pot, pan, slow cooker(!), rice cooker (plastic one that cooks rice in the microwave), toaster; plates, mugs and cutleries; basic stuff to get me started on cooking like salt, oil, sugar, rice, soya sauce, oyster sauce, 'hoi-sin' sauce, salad dressing, mustard, cheese spread, etc, besides lots of other foodstuff. The list goes on ... a good condition phone, stash of good condition Thank You cards and blank cards, complete with envelopes, boxes of tissue paper, a scent burner made of clay (my favourite kind) and bagful of tealight candles (In fact I was praying for these items cause I didn't want to spend money on such extras!), 2 pairs of jeans (that fit), countless t-shirts and tops, sweater, fleece jacket, very good looking Gap raincoat, another rain-proof jacket with lining, a pair of snow boots, a smart looking hat (seen in some of my photos; Canadians call it a tuque), a straw mat for sitting in the park in summer, a small corkboard, a steam iron (the one I brought does not have suitable voltage and power point), quilt (2 sets!), sleeping bag (on long-term loan), pillow, 1 set of bed linens complete with 1 fitted sheet, 1 flat sheet and 2 pillow cases .... So far I've managed to borrow most of my textbooks or bought them at a very good bargain from seniors.

I'm constantly amazed at His abundant provision. Overwhelmed. A friend of mine shared about how humbling it feels to be on the receiving end. It's not easy and we had to learn to receive graciously. Yet to be careful not to have a hoarding or 'begging' mentality. It really teaches us that nothing belongs to us and if we find a need, there is a sense of freedom to give to others and share what we have. It is very liberating. My motto has been 'Silver or gold I don't have, but I am more than happy to share whatever I have!' So far I've been able to 'give away' cooking utensils, mugs, plates, cutleries, food stuff and even loan my friend a bike (I have been given custody of it from another student who comes up from the States once a year to do summer courses), complete with a helmet. I've never failed to have enough food to feed various folks when they came around.

I've always been a firm believer that a person's rich-ness is not measured by what one has, but by what one is able to give away. I know I've met some of very generous people upon joining full-time. It used to perplex me. Many of them are not what you would term as rich but they are constantly sharing, sometimes even out of their need. This has left a deep impression on me. I've seen how they took the initiative to raise fund to give to one of the pastors when he had a big financial need. I know it's not just a one-off incident but an internalised value, having observed it being practised consistently for the few years I was there. Of course, it's not just about money ... a number of them responded almost immediately and came to my aid when I met with an accident near the church, just before I left. These are the things I will always remember.

I pray He will continue to give me the ability and privilege to give ... freely, materially and otherwise. I want to give my time, friendship, service and abilities - to give of myself; to show my love and concern both in words and in action, by His grace.

No comments: