God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Friday, January 20, 2006

Patience is an expression of humility.

That hit me like a bullet when I read it in this excellent book (Handbook of Biblical Social Values). I know I have little patience, with myself, snail paced traffic (i.e. anything less than 70 kph!), watching Liverpool players playing a defensive game and irritating people, I'm afraid. Another case of pride exposed. There is more.

Patience, as understood in the Bible, is sharply at odds with contemporary Western ideas. Today, the term is usually understood in an evolutionary or developmental way and is applied to the processes of growth and is applied to the processes of growth and change (like rearing children, education, increasing business, etc.). In contrast, the culture in which the Bible originated usually understood the term to apply to fixed conditions unlikely to change significantly and which therefore must be borne with an attitude of resigned acceptance.

Wow, some of the conditions that come to mind is when one has to live with a terminal illness, or perhaps worse, having a loved one who has to live with a terminal illness. I am not in any way suggesting that these are easy to live with, and am thinking of the hope and faith required in such conditions. I admire the strength of character displayed in some of these saints who are resigned to such states, and remain patient and faithful to the Lord who carries them through such conditions. The patience and hope lies in the ultimate deliverance and healing that He will bring, whether on this side of heaven or the other. In the light of this, I am reminded by a friend recently, to be careful about praying for more patience and grace....

Meanwhile I shall try to wait patiently for the coming World Cup and the state-of-the-art stadium which looks so cool. Check out the pics of the 2006 World Cup Stadium.

No comments: