God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Friday, November 12, 2004

Mind of the Heart

Have you ever noticed how your mind and your heart don't always jive in harmony? Logically I know what I should do and how I should behave but I don't always succeed. That's because my heart does its own thinking apart from the mind, as if the heart has a mind of its own! Our entire life's emotional experience is stored in the memory of our heart. That's probably why some people who've been injured emotionally have certain behavioural patterns that they might not even be conscious of or if they consciously try to change, find it hard to or probably revert to it, when they're not paying attention.

Most of the time, I operate from my conscious and logical level (a real surprise for those who think that a rational woman is an oxymoron!) but I've also made decisions at the gut level or intuitively. I can't explain it or at least, can't prove scientifically at the point of deciding how I 'know' one decision would be a better one than another. Yet I have learned to trust and follow my instincts, which is right, more often than not.

I am inclined to think that it's just as, if not more, crucial to train our hearts (than our mind) to think correctly. I'm a cognitive person by nature and prefer to figure things out mentally before I am able to accept and embrace a new idea. But I believe I should work to train my heart to think according to God's principles and truth, as much as I work on my mind to correct my thinking if not more.

The essence of our being is really our heart rather than our mind. Our values, attitudes, even faith and fear are all issues related to our heart. I believe God works in our physical, emotional and mental being, in order that we have a change of heart - which is the thing that really counts in His eyes!

I am obliged to my teachers for their ideas which are have contributed to these thoughts. They are Ps A. R. Bernard in his message entitled Memory of the Heart and Dallas Willard in his excellent book, Renovations of the Heart.

No comments: