God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Thursday, November 18, 2004

Beauty or Beast

Being a visually-oriented person, I have a keen eye for things of beauty. Ranging from artistic expressions to beautiful landscapes, I am naturally looking out for objects which are aesthetically appealing. I noticed this especially when I attended a symphony orchestra. While I enjoy listening to classical music, the impact from the experience of watching a group of musician play in unison to create music is beyond what any CD can ever reproduce!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Is beauty limited to visual attractiveness? That's what the world and media would like us to believe. Why? Because this makes great commercial opportunity for those seeking to capitalise on our fear of not being attractive, which is equated to being unlovable.

I have had a hard time convincing my friends that they are beautiful, especially ladies (the guys are trying hard to convince me they are!) I have no intention of lying or flattering them. If only they can see what an amazing creation they are. It is obvious that God has great sense of taste and I tend to agree with His taste. That's all. It may take a deeper observation, but I believe there's beauty in each of us, if we'd only look hard enough and focus beyond external appearances. This is true beauty. Beauty which will not fade but only grow with time.

I've always struggled with my looks and never liked what I saw in the mirror when I was growing up. It did not help that this was confirmed by the feedback I received from the people around me. I wasn't keen to hang out around beautiful-looking people, by which I mean those who are tall, slim, with smooth complexion, fair skin and pretty face. It is not possible to get the whole world to like you but life is almost unbearable if you don't like yourself. I thank God for His healing and through the years, have learned to accept who God made me to be. I can now look at so-called "beautiful" people without thinking that I'm a lesser being. More than that, I've learned to appreciate true beauty. By that I refer to a loving and compassionate heart, godly character, humble and gracious spirit, a person filled with joy, hope and peace.

Perhaps some may feel that this is merely an attempt to console myself...

Still I'm always looking out for beauty ... and I invariably find what I look out for.