God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Abandoned Mission

Has it ever occurred to you why Jonah abandoned his mission and ran to Tarshish? If I were to look back in my life, there were many times I've felt like running away from God's assignment or even just walking away from everything... The reasons for doing so have been numerous and varied. Anything from sheeer unwillingness, the sacrifice involved being too great (whether in terms of time, convenience or money) to a lack of confidence (only too often) in my own ability to carry out the task, which I admit merely reflects my lack of faith in God to bring me through.

If I recall correctly however, I don't think it was ever because I was doubtless of God's mercy and grace to spare a group of evil people in the event they were to repent when I'm done preaching to them! An entire nation of 120,000 people turned around in repentance when they heard Jonah's, probably half-hearted, preaching!!

Jonah was furious. He lost his temper. He yelled at God, "God! I knew it - when I was back home, I knew this was going to happen! That's why I ran off to Tarshish! I knew you were sheer grace and mercy, not easily angered, rich in love, and ready at the drop of a hat to turn your plans of punishment into a program of forgiveness! "So, God, if you won't kill them, kill me! I'm better off dead!"
(Jonah 4:1-3, MSG)

How did Jonah acquire such a deep sense of God's mercy and grace? He was certain of it enough to run away from the assignment and risked incurring God's wrath. Do I share about God's love and compassion with that sort of conviction? Am I as certain of God's mercy when I lay my hands to pray for someone to be healed, especially if I think the person does not deserve God's healing?! Am I half-hearted in my prayers because of my warped idea of God's grace, as if it is something to be earned by my good conduct?

Father, open the eyes of my heart to truly know Your rich love, abundant grace & mercy and Your great compassion. May it be so ingrained in my system that I can't help but let it seep out in every area of my life! Amen.

No comments: