God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Which gospel? What good news?

Caution: This is not a theological exposition or a thesis. Just some thoughts and food for thought.

I've been struggling with how some share the gospel. One thing that sometimes bug me is that I don't think my life is good enough for me to proclaim the gospel. This reveals my underlying assumption that I believe my life must show for what I'm proclaiming. Today I'm reminded that I'm not sharing a human gospel but preaching Christ. While my life is a witness for Christ, it is not by virtue of my being a perfect witness. If that's the criterion, then I'll never qualify. Not sure if anyone will. I want to be able to point to my life and show the transformation that's taken place. Then I look at Paul's example and is reminded that Paul kept pointing people to his weaknesses, rejoicing in them. I go like what??? What kind of 'marketing' strategy is that? The right kind I suppose. The focus is on Christ and His work in my life. His word is true regardless if I can prove it. It is interesting that the early Christians did not point to their 'perfect' life but demonstrated the power of God at work through signs and wonders. There the attention was turned to His work their lives. Even then, the signs and wonders were not the focus! It is possible for people to witness and even experience a miracle, but still fail to believe or follow Christ.

When we offer the gospel, we offer Christ. Period. Nothing more, nothing less. If we try to sell the gospel too hard, we'd be tempted to highlight the blessings and play down on the sufferings and persecution. This is misrepresentation and misleading advertisement. It's wrong, unethical and by right, liable for legal suit! OK, you can see I feel quite strongly about this. We don't talk about the cost of discipleship, or that the call of Christ is to "Take up the Cross and follow Me". Simple reason being this tagline doesn't sell! I think it's no harm to point out the cost of following Christ, and that persecution, pain and suffering, even imperfection, are very much part of the life as a Christian. We are not immuned to the blows that life dishes out. In the midst of all that, the Lord promises His abiding presence, unconditional Love and eternal Hope.

Can you imagine the gospel the early Christians were 'selling'? Not unlike the persecuted church today in China and some other parts of the world, the choice to follow Christ is as good as signing up your life as a martyr. That's a sobering thought. I know we want to reach as many people with the gospel as possible, but we should not have to compromise on the message of the gospel in the process. We are not to water it down or make grace cheap. It's noted that despite the obvious cost, many chose to become Christians and the church grew in the midst of persecution. It's probably not evangelism explosion and mass conversion, but you bet the conversions were absolutely serious.

I have been involved in a campus ministry doing Alpha to reach out to international students here. I am careful in how I present the gospel because I am very aware that I can't overpromise and risk them crash with disappointment when things don't always turn out the way they want. I am aware that when they go home (many of them come from China) they will have to face the reality of the consequences of these decisions. I can't pay the price for them, thus it's not for me to judge them for how they decide. This is not to say I don't desire for them to be saved or pray God will draw them by His Spirit to put their faith in Christ. I do and that's why I am there faithfully every week to share this truth with them. I guess I want to do my part to present Christ through His word and hopefully, His presence through mine.

I am calling for authentic faith and honest representation of the gospel. I'm cautious about use of excellent marketing strategy, sleek packaging, high tech gadgets, manipulating emotions or bullying tactics, like threatening them with dramatic representations of Hell! I'm not saying that good planning and modern technology is bad. Not at all. I think we need to watch our motives and consider the manner in which we are using them.

Thanks for bearing with me as I process my thoughts. These are some of my initial ideas for the paper I will be writing on Conversion. I know I am not the first one to bring up these issues and most certainly won't be the last.

No comments: