God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Lord of War

Watched this movie at the campus cinema last night. It was a fund-raising event for West Sudan. Amnesty International was present to campaign for arms control. I was really surprised to see the turn out as students lined up for more than 100m to get their ticket. The cinema at the Student Union Building (SUB) is one of the most dingy and usually there's hardly a queue to get tickets, even on weekends. These Uni students really made their way in support of this cause. It was very encouraging, considering that this generation is usually associated with apathy. The organisers were very affirming and kept reminding the group that each person counts and can make a difference. They also organised an after movie drink at the pub to discuss the movie. These kids pay for both the movie (which is really sponsored so that all proceeds go to Amnesty International) and the drink session.

You probably think, what am I coming to? First environmental issue, now arms control. Well, I suppose this is part of my learning experience; learn to be concerned with issues around me, beyond my little world and tiny circle of concerns. I don't know how many Christians were there last night but I believe not too many. Yet I won't be surprised if not too few there were. I met some folks here who are very politically aware and even in some churches, you can't escape these issues. Of course there are also Christians who only think in very limited scope and have no idea what's happening outside the church walls. But I dare say we can do with more churches and Christians actively engaging in such issues.

It's a fantastic movie, with a powerful story and fast paced. Based on facts, it bears a profound message... that the real weapons of mass destruction is not nuclear armoury but small handheld arms trafficked illegally, both by arm dealers and even world governments! It is scarily true. The opening scene is very memorable and reminds me one of those essays (karangan) I had to write when I was in primary school - "If I were a ..... (an inimate object)". The soundtracks are great and haunting, and can be heard on the movie's site. Violent? You bet. Nicholas Cage plays a villain - first time as far as I recall. Here you watch what how one moves from denial to justification when dealing with sin. We do this so often that we rarely stop to think about it. In the end, sin has its price. Ethan Hawke plays the role of the interpol agent who seeks to use the law to bring about justice and refuse to compromise his own sense of uprightness to achieve this.

Link to the Lord of War movie site.
Find out how you can make a difference - Amnesty International.

No comments: