God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

First weekend

In short, it's been a fun weekend. Checked out the International Jazz Fest and this was the 20th Anniversary, so it was good. Had over 20 bands lined up last weekend... all free! Got a free summer collection CD from HMV. Held at Gastown, a lovely sidewalk which is an old part of town. Very pretty and buzzing street party. Then went out to Kits beach which was the Kitslano 100 Year Bash. It's a Greek festival so can see lots of happening things along the main street. To me, it looked like a scene from the movie 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding'.

Went to church on Sunday (must report this lah...) and met with some of Alex's friends, including Maria who was my coursemate in Singapore when I studied at City Harvest School of Theology. She's been living here most of her life and only went back to Singapore that year and completed a year of bible school. So it was such a chance that we could meet then and only to find our paths cross again here. It's a small world after all. Of course my mum is totally impressed that I'm so connected! Church was good, especially loved the worship led by Israel (yeah, he has a cool name), one of Alex's best buddy. Had lunch with the pastor and his family (young Chinese couple) and another couple. Church is made up of about 25 odd people, mainly in their 20s but most of them are married or soon to be. I might check out some other churches before settling down.

Otherwise, I've got quite a number of things lined up for this week and next. Did the Museum of Anthropology tour yesterday (free on Tues), will visit the Vancouver Art Gallery tomorrow and signed up for 2 prayer retreats, one of which is with Dr James Houston. Looking forward to them. All these on top of my super heavy workload with Prof Bruce Waltke. Although I'm only taking 2 credits, I feel like there's so much to cover. But it's all good. Of course not forgetting there's weekly lunchtime concerts right here in the College... yesterday was a jazz quartet. Chapel was lovely today with a violin, flute and bugle accompanying the piano. Yes, for those who are getting to know me, I love all these cultured, artistic, and etc thingy... In the meantime, I am meeting people and making new friends. Met a girl from DUMC who came in Dec last year. I know her Pastor in DUMC and so made it easier to make the connection.

I must confess I bought 2 books... not textbooks. They were on 50% discount - how to resist? But will try to be more disciplined in this area. One is a journal of a country priets and in the book he mentioned something about how dust and dirt always gathers. Takes no effort on our part and that's part of life. I've been labouring to keep the apartment clean and it's been no help to find it dirty again in no time. I'm not complaining cause it's just my preference to live in a relatively clean environment. Trying not to develop a paranoid against dirt! This reading has reminded me that it's the nature of things to get dirty and it's a losing battle trying to keep dirt away. As long as they are not too dirty, I'll learn to live with it. Can't help also connecting this with us, Christians and the church. It's our nature to get soiled by sin and like children, I should be careful not to expect others or myself to keep away from sin perfectly, all the time. We just have to keep cleaning.... in Christ. Had an opportunity to chat with the Principla of NZ Bible College who shared at chapel yesterday. Students attending the summer course are made up from a wide range in age and from different parts. I met a family while doing the musuem tour and they are here from Sydney just to do a course fo 2 weeks. Folks come from Europe and other parts too. Pretty diverse.

1 comment:

immousy said...

whaaaa ... sounds like a perfect place to study. of course God's plan is always perfect!

I don't know about Canada, but when I was in Sydney... summer is always alive however come winter, things can get pretty depressing.

well, I guess Canada is better off as Christmas is during winter unlike Down Under, Christmas is during summer! :P