God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Love: No Regrets

Love is about giving of ourselves. It is giving without expecting any returns. It is the nature of love to give and serve the object of love. God is love and it is in His nature to give and serve. He came to be servant of all, that is Lover of all. Some people are afraid to love because they are afraid that love will cause them to lose themselves. God says he who loves his life will lose it, but he loses it will find it. Love must be expressed because unexpressed love has no value, like a cheque that's not signed.

In my life, I've had a few soul-friends - people who've touched me in the very core of my being and I know I'm never the same again. However God has arranged it in such a way that these bossom buddies of mine should enter my life only for a season. Somehow we've had to move on and simply be content with great memories. It's not easy. I've come to accept the transcient nature of relationships. People come into our lives and people go. That's a fact and I try not to expect things to be otherwise. I am learning how to hold friendships loosely. They say the older you get, the harder it is to make friends. I can imagine why, especially if we allow painful experience of the past to breed cynicism and fear in our hearts. We will then choose to remain apathetic and detached, seeking to 'protect' our hearts.

I believe there's a difference between holding friendships loosely and being detached. For me, being detached has to do with not letting our hearts get involved, care too much or care at all. However I seek to give myself fully to loving those around me for as long as I have them with me. At least when the time comes for us to part ways, I can say that I have no regrets because I did not withhold love. I hold them loosely in the sense I know that these friendships are not things for me to possess but rather I'm merely a steward of these friendships and friends.

We live only once and there's no knowing what tomorrow holds, thus I want to love with all my heart; passionately giving my all, my best.

Yes, people come and people go. My prayer is that we will leave each other better people as a result of the impact we've had on one another.

No comments: