God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Making Sense of Pain

How do you make sense of this great catastrophe? It is so devastating. So much grief. My mind can barely register the rising death toll that seem endless. I think my mind is still in a state of shock at the extent of the damage. Just imagine, thousands have gone to an eternity without God overnight. Words seem to fail to express the loss and I can only pray 'Have mercy, O Lord'. We fear the worse is not over. With almost zero resources, survivors have little to help them stay alive. Even if they have enough clean water, can they make it through the feared diseases?

How can I help? How can I make a difference? My fear is that my only contribution is to watch the news and follow it because it's the in-thing, then walk away unmoved. Or if moved, do absolutely nothing about it. Slowly my heart will grow hard because it needs to de-sensitise to these constant bombardments by the media; there's a limit to how much one can take. I need to pray. That's the least I can do. Give towards the Disaster Fund. I'd like to go and offer help if I can do something to relief this pain in a small measure.

However despite the senseless pain, I was reminded at prayer meeting tonight that God is holy and worthy of worship. In the midst of all the sadness, I tell myself that this has been foretold by the Lord. I know one day all these will come to an end. He will return and bring an end to all these wickedness and destruction. My duty in the mean time is to share the gospel with as many as I can because I know the time is short. Much too short.

No comments: