God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Christmas is all in the heart

As I approach this year's Christmas, my heart is filled with gratitude. I'm simply amazed at His goodness and abundant provision for me, everyday. So many times, my heart is inclined to doubt, to fear. But the truth is I have no reason to be anxious. He has been nothing but gracious, generous and extravagant with me. As we lighted the candle of Love last Sunday, I cannot help but was overwhelmed once again by His unconditional love. As I pause, I felt His embrace around me. Simply to linger there and receive His love, I could sense all my guilt and shame melting away from me. All my feelings of unworthiness did not deter Him. I wonder if I should stop more often ... to stop and linger long enough to let His embrace enfold me.

Just to share an example of His goodness. I took a course recently in the summer, 'Galatians in a Week'. Last week I received an email from the Teaching Assistants (their task include grading our coursework) informing me that I still owe them outstanding assignments. That is when I realised that I had failed to change the number of credit I was suppose to take for that course as I intended to. I had signed up earlier to take it for 2 credits, but had made up my mind later (but during the course), that I was going to take it for 1 credit - I had already taken 2 other subjects and had a full load of coursework to complete. It is clearly stated that once the deadline for making any course changes has passed, you will be deemed to have committed to the course you've registered for. The TAs were very kind to offer to extend the deadline for me to hand them the rest of the work by today, and not consider it as late, since I handed my earlier work on time. They could have easily kept quiet and not informed me, but just marked me as failed for not handing in sufficient work. In any event, my final exams are scheduled this week, and there was no way I can come up with either a 3,500 word sermon or 2 book reviews by today.

Naturally I panicked! Hit a mini crisis point... already stressed out with exam preparation, this simply took the wind out of me. Well, I prayed and committed the matter to the Lord. I told myself, He has brought me thus far, He will not abandon me now. I arranged a meeting with the Registrar. In my mind, I was prepared for the worst, that is still hand in the work within the extended deadline (or maybe with a further extension!), or reduce to 1 credit but with the tuition forfeited ... however deep in my heart, I was hoping that I would somehow be able to reduce to 1 credit without forfeiting my tuition. I committed the outcome of that meeting, trusting that He would see me through and give me the strength to handle it no matter what the outcome is.

I am very grateful to report that the Registrar has kindly allowed me to retrospectively reduce my credit hour for that course. So I get a full tuition refund and do not need to hand in anymore work!! What a tremendous relief... Thank you, Jesus. You are so good and so faithful! This may be a small matter for someone reading this, but for me, it's a sign of His grace towards me. I am thankful for friends He's given me who've been a tremendous support and help to pray for me.

Sigh, now can continue to study for my exams, in peace.

No comments: