God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Rough week

My apartment got broken into last Sunday. It took place between 12 -2.30pm when all my housemates and I were out. 3 of our 4 rooms got broken into and 2 laptops including mine was taken, as well as my housemate's wallet and almost all my cheque books. We reported to the police and I stopped all my cheques. The only room not broken into had a light on (and I used to nag him for his environmentally unfriendly and unsustainable habit!) while the rest of the house was not lit. It was a very dreary and rainy day and an unlit apartment was a clear sign that no one else was home. Being a long weekend here, it was all very likely that the apartment would be empty. However if there was any inkling that someone was actually in the room, then I think the person was rather brave to still hit the other 3 rooms, going through my stuff quite a bit too. I'm just glad I was not at home alone to encounter the person.

I feel the lost ... a laptop is a very important part of a student's life. Irony of it was that I was still taking photo of my desk with the laptop on it, around 4pm the day before and even posted it on my blog. Most painful was the lost of my data which I had absolutely no backup! All my work done here the past year over and also before - gone. But all's not lost ... am thankful for my diligence in maintaining a blog so at least I still have remnant of some of the photos I've taken. Learned my lesson in a very painful way which some can identify with if they've had their hard drive crashed or infected by virus (I sure hope others are learning from this experience of mine as well). It feels odd to open to 'My Documents' folder and not find a single word document in the file. Extremely odd, leaving you with a sick hollow feeling. I feel like I'm piecing my life together as I install softwares and re-set all my bookmarks from scratch ... I had a very established bookmark folder for my Firefox browser and depended heavily on it. Sometimes I feel like crying but I don't ... can't see what good that will do. Moreover it's not the end of the world. Far from.

Initially I didn't feel safe in my room since I was not able to lock the door. It was frustrating because the management was only able to fix it earlier today ... which is 5 days later, even though Monday was a holiday. Had to make sure one of us was at home all the time this week, it was quite annoying. I was grateful for my parents who called and text me regularly to check in with me, or I would have been so depressed otherwise. Am glad to have 3 guys as my housemates at such times ... I've had worst experience of being robbed point blank in the middle of the street and walk-in robbery at gun point at home. This pale in comparison but still can't help thinking why should these things happen to my family. Last year my parents' house got broken into and before that, my brother's house in New Zealand. We live in a broken, sinful world ... literally, no matter where we are. I was quite upset that something so important to me would be taken from me from my own room ... feel kind of violated.

I must admit I was tempted to join the others to curse the person, although I know I'd feel really bad and can't forgive myself if something terrible did happen to him or her. It crossed my mind if the person was driven to such actions out of a desperate state. When my pastor mentioned that we can pray God will deal justice to the person, I was hesitant to agree ... As I pondered more, I am reminded that Jesus taught us to pray "Forgive our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us". I dared not pray for justice although I have no doubt that God is just. He is also merciful and more importantly, He has dealt very mercifully with me.

I am thankful for friends who've been sympathetic and encouraging, although the lost is not terribly significant compared to other stuff. A few people have prayed for the return of my laptop and that's my prayer too. Without a battery (I've removed it) and with a non-Canadian/American power plug, I do hope it'd be valueless to the person, and that they'll abandon it and it would be returned to me. In the mean time, a friend linked me up with a computer dealer and I managed to purchase a second hand laptop. The specs are quite good and he's willing to undertake the repairs (no warranty). The dealer is a Christian who's been taking care of IT needs for Regent and even hope to take classes with Regent next year. Although he's had the unit, he was not intending to sell it but have been using it personally. The price was quite reasonable and if I'd had bought a lower specs brand new model I'd still have to pay for original software. The damage would have been pretty severe. I'd thought it was a decent deal and am happy with the purchase so far. Trusting the Lord to sustain me through the rest of my studies here. Of course it's ironical that I replaced the laptop before they managed to replace the lock to my door! However in view of the fact that I've not been able to work due to my hectic work load this term, this is quite a bummer financially.

I think of Christmas that is fast approaching - can't help it with the season growing colder here and Advent in 2 weeks' time. For all that has happened, somehow I feel blessed compared to those who are suffering far more than I am and experiencing loss that is greater than mine. I have no cause for complaint and many reasons to be thankful. These things do happen and I learn to accept that the 'trials' I face is not uncommon to others (1 Cor 10:31) although I do not wish it upon anyone. I was listening to a Regent grad, Wee Seng from Singapore, share about the work of God in China, to my Chinese friends attending the Alpha meeting tonight. I was greatly encouraged to hear about the growth of the church in China, probably the fastest growing church in the world. China has always had a special place in my heart and this news filled my heart with rejoicing and hope. I know it touched the students too and gave them lots to think about. Not only is it legal for China to print Bibles for local distribution, which they have been doing and growing exponentially, but today China is also an exporter of the Bible!! Copies of these Contemporary English Version Bible can be found in Regent bookstore. The demand for the Bible is growing in China (duh!) and sales for the pocket size Bible has outgrown the full size indicating that people who are buying and reading the Bible are from the younger generation. This Christmas as we experience and remember God's generosity and grace, may we be generous givers to the work of God and spread His love and Good News to those who still do not know the true reason for our celebration.

No comments: