God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Through Mountains and Valleys

Have you ever walked through a tunnel and suddenly felt like someone turned off the lights on both sides? I believe the Lord allows me to go through valley experiences to strengthen me and help me learn to trust Him more. Sometimes when I hear people praying to learn to trust Him more... I can't help wondering in my heart if they have any idea what the answer to their prayer would look like, or if they'll gladly embrace when their faith is put to the test. Or perhaps what we really mean is that we trust Him to protect and shield us from all difficulties, sadness and pain?!?

If God only gives me mountain-top experiences, how then would I know that He can be trusted to come through when things get rough? I understand that it is in my weakness that He can show Himself strong, dependable and that He'll never let me go. It is in and through the difficult times that I experience His comfort, assurance and healing.

The irony however is that in such times, instead of running to Him, I run from Him! Perhaps I felt let down.... that He's failed to protect me like I believed He should, i.e. from all difficulties, sadness and pain. God has never promised that life would be a bed of roses. I need to let go of my own false ideas and not make up my own 'god' according to these ideas. I'm not saying He's not capable or willing to protect me from all these but He will only do what's best for developing me. His main concern is not to keep me 'happy' but to develop my faith and mould me into the image of Christ. Only when I've learned that He is faithful through thick and thin, that true faith has developed within me. It is faith in God rather than faith in all the things that the world says will guarantee happiness.

Have you noticed that true heroes of faith are not those who've not been tested? Not even those who only have 'testimonies' to share. My heroes are those who've been tried, found themselves weak and perhaps even failed, but allowed God to strenghten them. God came through for them in their trials although that does not necessarily mean He removed from their trials. My greatest respect is given to those who remain in difficult and trying situations, yet do not lose faith, become hardened or cynical, but stay joyful and hopeful!

Having said all that, it does not mean I enjoy valley experiences and you bet I won't be praying for more of them!

No comments: