God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Friday, February 18, 2005

Blessedness.... Happiness

The Beatitudes describe the blessed state of a disciple. One translation uses the word Happy. Is there any difference? I think so. You can be happy but not blessed, like when you've robbed a bank or stolen someone's husband. According to Christ, blessedness is about being truly, or truthfully, happy. Blessedness is connected to Truth. Being happy is a description of the state of our emotions, which often is dependent on external circumstances. Looking again at the list of Beatitudes, it is clear that Christ gave a list of situations that we don't usually link with feeling happy. Yet He says that such a disciple is blessed - true happiness. Paradoxical? Perhaps. However the fact that He links the blessed state of the disciple with each of these situations, I believe, is to show us that as a disciple, our state of blessedness is a constant, not dependent on external circumstances.

I have a question. Are these 'conditions' for blessedness descriptive or prescriptive? Is Jesus suggesting that as a disciple these conditions (being poor in the spirit, etc) will be my lot? Or is He saying He will transform us to be poor in spirit, pure in heart, etc? Another possibility is that as a disciple, these are spiritual postures for me to access the kingdom of God. So I'm blessed because I will experience God's mercy when I show mercy to others. But does that mean my blessed condition is conditional on circumstance or my response/state of being? Am I responsible to make or keep myself pure in heart, or am I to pursue after these 'conditions' in order to be blessed? Pure in heart and merciful I can understand if I should pursue these virtues or at least position myself to respond to Him as He develops them in me... but a bit difficult to imagine pursuing spiritual poverty and persecution?! *Eyes Rolling*

The thing to bear in mind is we must interpret the different beatitudes consistently. Can't read some as prescriptive and others descriptive, ie some as existing conditions but others as goals to work towards to. Of course, it is possible that the passage has simply not made this point clear. Thus one opinion may just be as plausible as another.

These are just some of my thoughts. Feel free to share yours.

3 comments:

jedibaba said...

This shows the difficulty of translating from one language to another. Sometimes there is no exact word. Both happiness and blessedness describe a desirable condition.
I don't think Jesus was here to introduce a new legalism, higher barriers for us to jump over before we can be blessed.
Therefore I think the Beatitudes are basically descriptive.
But the sheer audaciy of the beatitudes humbles us to a position where we can receive even the faith required as gifts. We sure can't do it in our own strength.

preciouscw said...

Hi! Thanks for the input. Wasn't sure if anyone would bother with such a Q or think it's relevant!
Sorry I didn't get your permission earlier before adding a link to your website on this blog. Your nickname is a give away to the fact that you're a huge Star Wars fan, which is confirmed in your latest article...
Look forward to hearing you share once again this Sun.

jedibaba said...

Aiya jedibaba not meant to hide anything. Just my old yahoo messenger id. Using just for fun. I am a baba from Penang. And I seek to be a knight for Christ. :)