God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Post-Modern in the Garden

Figured I should pen down some thoughts from the summer courses I took. One thing that struck me when I was looking at Genesis was how similar the temptation of the serpent in the Garden sounded to the post-modern position. The desire to evaluate what is right or wrong independently of God is age old. The post-modern thinker who insists 'I will decide for myself what is good for me' is nothing more than Eve being dressed up in modern garb. It is only natural that a pluralistic stance must follow to support it. Since we've decided we will the final judge of what is true and right, we are left with no choice but to respect every other position held to be just as good or equally valid. The final outcome is nothing short of absurdity.

Even those of us who claim to take God at His Word may sometimes deceive ourselves, and in fact, consider our opinion of His Word to carry more weight than His Word itself. Often I want to 'experience' His Word, that is, put it to a 'test', as if giving God a chance to prove His Word to me. What arrogance! He is God and I am not. How easy I forget that. In past generations, men tend to think that he is being tried by his Maker and is conscious of how far he falls short from 'The Standard'. According to C. S. Lewis, it appears today as if God is in the dock and humanity is trying Him. Thus it is God's job to convince me that what He says is true, that He is good, fair and just. Basically to prove that He is God. I, on the other hand, assume the role of a judge, and decide if He passed the test. How often I catch myself being quick to question His very existence or His benevolence, the moment I experience some slight discomfort or disappointment. Sigh ... How long will it take before I accept my finiteness and inadequacy to make accurate and consistent evaluation of what is truly good, right or godly? Without a complete and exhaustive knowledge of everything, past, present and future, there is no way I can judge perfectly. It's high time for me to honestly and humbly consider and admit to my limitations.

God, help me to take God seriously and take Him at His word because You expect nothing else and deserve nothing less.

1 comment:

immousy said...

and Lord, thank you so much for Thy grace.