God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Tribute to a Friend

Last weekend I had the privilege of being with a close friend of mine through her father's last moments. It was tough watching someone close to you lose a loved one. She was very attached to her father and I know she will miss him dearly. As the only child, I knew that she meant everything to her dad and he would have given his life for her if it was required of him. Words cannot express the lost my friend is feeling now.

As I sat and listened to different stories recounted by family members of how uncle took care of his nieces and nephews like his own children, I was amazed. He assumed the role as their father figure when their father died (he had 7 siblings) and looked after everyone of them, to the point that my friend refers to some of her cousins, as 'sister' and 'brother'. A teacher and government servant for many years, uncle may not have been rich materially but he gave fully of himself and I believe he was truly rich.

I am so thankful that in the last few years of his life he came to know the Lord. He loved the Lord tremendously and was always eager to come for Sunday worship service even when he was feeling very ill. At times he got up as early as 4am to get ready because of his limited mobility. He always coveted prayers and spiritual blessings. This is indeed an amazing change coming from a hardened self-made man that he was for so many years. He never wanted anything to do with the Christian faith and used to stop his family from attending church! This is a miracle only God can wrought in a man's heart. I praise God for His grace and mercy in each of our lives. I know it is grace that helped uncle finished his race and finished it well, full of faith. As I look ahead, I don't know how many days I have left and how much of the race I have the opportunity to run. I pray for His grace to keep me and help me finish well.

No comments: