God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end.

Life is about changes and learning to enjoy the adventure of journeying in life with Him. I can't see what's ahead and have no way of controlling how things will go. I can only trust Him, that He makes all things beautiful in its time.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Finding God

People go to all extent to find God and some even go to great extents like taking a year off to walk barefoot in India, following after their 'guru's. It makes you wonder if God is playing hide-and-seek with us. Is He playing hard-to-get or does He simply enjoys making things difficult for us? I don't think so. The Bible tells us that God is seeking us out and more often than not, we're the ones hiding from Him.

Like Adam, we realise our nakedness and have a tendency to hide from Him in our shame. I believe it is not so much about how far we go to seek God out but more about looking hard enough to realise that He what is already doing in our lives. He is present, indeed omnipresent. Yes, He is present in church, at prayer meetings, healing rallies and other 'spiritual' activities. However the fact that He is omnipresent means He is also present when I'm driving (?), eating, sleeping, working(!), watching a movie and when I'm in the toilet, in the mall, at the clinic, at the market or even on the dentist's chair! Do I notice Him at work around me when I'm with my family, or when I'm doing some mundane chores, waiting at a queue, caught in a traffic jam (some of my more impatient moments)? Instead of looking for God everywhere else or chasing after some phenomenon I tend to associate with God's presence, I'll be better off if I would only be still and pay attention to what He's already doing around me. In that way, every activity becomes a spiritual activity, that is an activity with spiritual significance. This will give my life integrity and not put my life into spiritual and non-spiritual compartments.

One of my aims this year is to continually look out for God-activities around me and I believe as Heb 11:6 says, He will reward those who earnestly seek Him.

No comments: